Friday, June 10, 2011

Friday Music XI - Billy Joel Edition

There's always an extent to which one's musical taste is owed to exposure at an early age, for better or worse. And, like so many people, my love for the various hard rock and punk acts can probably at least partially be chalked up to rebellion against parental authority, even if my parents didn't really care that much what I listened to (within reason). On the other hand, I can think of two musicians where my appreciation for them is entirely due to my parents exposing me to them frequently when I was very young. One was Harry Chapin (and I really need to do one of these on him as well), and the other was one William Martin Joel. When I was taking piano lessons, I wanted to be Billy Joel. Then, well, I learned the electric guitar and I wanted to be in a metal band, but I never did lose my taste for Billy the Kid.

"Allentown"



"Uptown Girl"

No comments:

Post a Comment